We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our team to maintain and contribute to developing our highest-profile client applications. You’ll be getting in at the ground up, providing an opportunity to contribute to software that serves the global church.
We are looking for someone that can tie the benefits of open-source platforms and technologies such as Linux, Node.JS, and containerization with a deep knowledge of modern front-end frameworks such as Vue or Angular. You will be leading the new Canadian team, focused on refactoring, maintaining, and migrating two legacy web apps on PHP/WordPress and Angular into new modern web app(s), which your team will be instrumental in architecting and implementing.
You’ll use your technical knowledge to grow a modern product. You will be working closely with other product teams, especially with the Core Services team to convert user stories into tangible customer value. This role will be 80% technical contributions and 20% management responsibilities.
The Organization is a global non-profit organization that exists to serve and equip the local church in its mission to help people discover and develop a relationship with God.
- Leading the Canadian software engineering team, actively improving our legacy software as well as positioning client applications towards the future.
- A primary contributor to code, with a smaller amount of line management responsibilities with a small but growing engineering team.
- Contributing to discovery, requirements gathering, and agile ceremonies to better improve the ways we deliver software in a timely and effective fashion.
- Reducing the impact of legacy software on existing and new systems.
- Improving code coverage and balancing technical debt. Technical debt is a reality in projects and the right candidate will have the experience to know when to take on technical debt and ensure through the process the team keeps it to a healthy minimum.
- Build and lead Alpha’s software engineering capability in Canada. This will include:
– Leading interviews
– Improving technical and people processes
– Personal and professional development of team members, including reviews.
- Mentor and grow engineers professionally and technically.
- At least 5 years of hands-on, professional development experience, ideally in an enterprise environment or on software at scale. 2 years of which should be in a leadership capacity.
- You live and can work in Canada, in a full-time remote position.
- Experience with enterprise software and the needs of software at scale.
- A strong understanding of working from the database to the browser. We don’t expect you to be an expert in everything but should command strong knowledge of the database and codebase, as well as an understanding of the client-side and how to work on the system, which affects upstream dependencies.
- Comfortable with the command line.
- Strong, demonstrable understanding of PHP and Angular with preference given to those that have a strong front-end leaning.
- Demonstrable understanding of Node.JS and its runtime.
- Willingness to learn more – including new languages if a project requires it.
- Experience with Linux and related tooling.
- Containerization, ideally with Docker.
- An understanding of Agile software craftmanship and Scrum.
- Focus on writing maintainable, clean code and can back up that statement with useful unit and integration tests.
- Great at getting the most out of other engineers by encouraging, challenging, and driving team members to success.
- A great team player who has no problem working on architecting solutions or code reviewing bug fixes in legacy applications.
- You can solve problems independently and feel comfortable explaining solutions to other developers – before you touch a keyboard.
- You foster a culture of technical and personal development.
- Collaborative: Confidence in working collaboratively. You understand the need for defined standards and practices and have no problem adhering to them, working with the team to achieve success.
- Process-driven: You understand how important a process is to a software team. You’re committed to ensuring your team understands and follow those processes such as code review, scrum, ticket management, etc.
Desirable Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Exposure to BDD and/or DDD
- Flexible work environment, work remotely.
- Supportive, diverse, faith-filled work environment.
- Work that really makes a difference.
- A competitive benefits and salary package.
- Yearly personal development budget (courses, seminars, workshops, etc).
- The tools you need to get your job done well.
- Mon-Fri: standard hours 9.00 am to 5.00 pm 8 hours per day with flexi-time.
- 3 weeks annual leave per annum.
- 3-month probationary period.
- Have access to an office space remotely with a good internet connection.
- Actively participate in team prayer.
At FullStackRemote, we require that you go through a short coding assessment prior to our interview process. The test will take less than 2 hours. To start the test process, go here.